What Are Soap Nuts?
Eco Nuts™ Soap Nuts are a berry that grows in the Himalayas that naturally produces a soap. The soap is called saponin, a natural cleaner that works as a surfactant, breaking the surface tension of the water to penetrate the fibers of your clothing, lifting stains from the fabric and leaving dirt suspended in the water that is rinsed away.
Eco Nuts™ are gentle on both clothes and skin, making them ideal for those with sensitive skin, eczema, allergies and psoriasis. Because they are so mild, they are perfect for baby clothes and cloth diapers. All-Natural Eco Nuts™ are also great for septic and grey water systems. But don’t expect these shells to foam up like commercial soaps, which have artificial foaming agents. Foam simply does not represent cleaning power.
Eco Nuts™ are wild-harvested, meaning they are gathered from wild trees grown without any kind of chemicals, fertilizers, or pesticides. The saponin actually tastes bad to insects so no pesticides are needed, and the trees naturally love poor uncultivated soil. They are organically grown by mother earth and certified USDA Organic by Oregon Tilth.
Soap Nuts for Cloth Diapers
A common reason why cloth diapers leak is residue buildup. Even if you use free and clear or other “so-called” natural detergents, they leave a residue on your fabric which will cause it to become less absorbent. Fabric softener will additionally make the diapers less absorbent. This residue can also cause diaper rash. Diapers are more prone to residue buildup because they are more absorbant than other fabrics.
Eco Nuts™ leaves very little residue, so you don’t have to strip as often, and will remove any residue buildup left behind by other products.
Eco Nuts™ are great for cloth diapers because they do not contain any dyes, enzymes, softeners, or fragrances which contribute to the deterioration and excessive wear/tear on diapers.
Eco Nuts ™ very effectively remove all lingering smells.
The saponin in Eco Nuts™ actually helps to loosen fibers in the dryer instead of tighten them, keeping your diapers as absorbant as they were when you first bought them, even after many many washes. This loosening effect that saponin has on fibers is also why no fabric softener is needed for your diapers to be soft and fluffy.
We’ve been Loved and Approved by many WAHM and Cloth Diaper Manufactures!
How to wash your cloth diapers with Eco Nuts™
- Flush any solid waste down the toilet.
- Throw a batch of diapers (not more than 24 at a time to help with the agitation) and do a Cold-Cold prewash. Add about 1/2 a cup of Baking Soda or Washing Soda (optional)
- When this wash cycle is done, Put 2-4 Eco Nuts™ in the cloth bag and put it in your laundry machine. If your washing machine runs very hot with the hot cycle, fewer Eco Nuts™ are recommended. If you are using homemade Eco Nuts™ liquid, use 1-2 tablespoons. If you are using Eco Nuts™ liquid concentrate, one 1 teaspoon is needed.
- Set your machine to a Hot-Cold cycle and start.
- Set the bag aside to dry and your diapers are ready for the clothesline or the dryer.
- If your diapers aren’t getting as white as you would like them, try leaving them in the sun for an effective natural white bleach! After drying in the sun, toss in the dryer for a few minutes to soften them up.
- Eco Nuts™ leaves very little residue, but diapers should still be stripped once in a while for proper maintenance.
Medium Eco Nuts contains enough berries for 100 loads of laundry and 2 reusable wash bags. That's only $.12 per load!!!
Each Sample contains enough berries for 10 loads of laundry and 1 reusable wash bag.